A. Definition and Fact
B. How to Simplify Rational Expressions
rational expression – a fraction whose numerator and denominator are polynomials.
- A rational expression is simplified when the numerator and denominator have no factors in common.
- Factor each numerator and denominator.
- Cancel like factors.
- The answer is the factors that did not cancel.
- If the numerator or denominator has more than one factor remaining that didn’t cancel:
- Single terms/factors get multiplied.
- Binomial factors remain in factored form.