A. The Coordinate Plane
B. Graphing an Ordered Pair like (-2, 6), where the x-value is always the first number and the y-value is always the second number.
positive numbers – numbers to the right of the origin on the x-axis and numbers above the origin on the y-axis.
negative numbers – numbers to the left of the origin on the x-axis and numbers below the origin on the y-axis.
x-axis – the horizontal axis
y-axis – the vertical axis
origin – the point where the x and y axis intersect……(0, 0)
quadrants – the four “corners” of the coordinate plane.
C. Graphing Horizontal and Vertical Lines
- Move right or left from the origin.
Move up or down from the x-value.
- Right – if the x-value is positive.
- Left – if the x-value is negative.
Mark your point after making the two moves.
- Up – if the y-value is positive.
- Down – if the y-value is negative.
x = c (c being any #) is a vertical line through the ordered pair (c, 0).
- y = c (c being any #) is a horizontal line through the ordered pair (0, c).