B. Steps for Graphing a Quadratic Equation in Standard Form
Parabola – the graph of a quadratic function, which is u-shaped
Vertex Point – it’s the highest or lowest point on the graph
Axis of Symmetry – the vertical line that goes through the vertex point
Standard Form - y = ax² + bx + c
- Determine if the graph will open up or down.
Find the vertex point.
- Opens up if "a" is positive.
The vertex point will be the minimum point.
- Opens down if "a" is negative.
The vertex point is the maximum point.
Find more points to determine the graph.
- Find the x-value by x = - b/(2a).
- Find the y-value by substituting the x-value into the equation and solving for "y".
Graph and connect all points that have been found.
- Choose two integers larger than the x-value of the vertex point.
- Choose two integers smaller than the x-value of the vertex point.
- Substitute these values in place of "x" in the equation and solve for "y".
- Four ordered pairs have been found